Sunday, February 26, 2012

Wilted Spinach Salad

This salad is one of my favorites.  Keep in mind- I think I have only eaten this a half dozen times in my entire life... It's not the "most healthy", if you know what I mean. :)   But my, oh my! It sure is a winner! Traditionally, it is made with raw onions and mushrooms, but I love mine sauteed first :)

First start by boiling 3 eggs...


When they are cooled (I drained the boiling water, then replaced that with ice water) peel shells off and set aside to finish cooling.


Slice any way you wish... I chose to cut mine up like this


Next, slice a red onion from top to bottom and remove the outer skin and cut off the rough parts on either end of the onion.


Slice the onion as thin as you can get it, I don't like to have super thick onions in salads...

Slice up the mushrooms...

Fry up your bacon...


Place cooked bacon on a paper towel to remove any excess grease.

This is what happens when there a men around while cooking bacon.... so I had to fry up some more :)


Remove 1-2 Tablespoons of bacon grease and place it in a small frying pan.
Leave 3 Tablespoons of grease in the large frying pan.

Place your sliced mushrooms into the pan and saute until tender and golden brown!


Don't be scared to give em' a little flipping action!! Your mushrooms are done when they are golden like so...


Now it's time for the red onion...

Your onions are ready to remove from the heat when they are semi-translucent and tender.


Put onions and mushrooms into a small bowl and set aside.

Now it's time to make the dressing for the salad...
In your sauce pan with 3 Tablespoons of bacon grease, add 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 2 Tablespoon red wine vinegar, 1 Tablespoon sugar and a dash of salt.

Mix your onion and mushrooms into the spinach and pour HOT dressing right onto the top of it all.  "Fluff" up with salad tongs to coat all the spinach, and top with the eggs. Serve immediately.....

And let your socks go up and down.. haha OK, just kidding, but for real!I think you will love this salad!


 



No comments:

Post a Comment