Thursday, February 23, 2012

Split Pea and Ham Soup

So I'm not a fan of boring meals.  I'm also not a fan of under seasoned food.  Come on, people!  Put some kick into your life! :) This soup actually turned out really well... I've never made split pea before, but this was so easy!

Soak one bag of split peas over night in a large soup pan in enough water to cover the peas.  The next day when you are ready to make the soup, drain out the old water and rinse the peas.

Fill your large pot up with water (back of the bag said 15 cups of water) and get it boiling.

Meanwhile.....

Slice up a couple of carrots....

and place in the boiling water.

Follow the directions on the back of the bag of split peas to cook.  (Quite frankly, I threw the bag away after making it and I forget the cooking process. Oops, don't do that if you plan on spreading the news with other people.)

After it has been boiling for a while, I added some ham hocks for flavor and meat.  I also threw in some diced potatoes as a last minute idea.  

This soup turned out really creamy and thick.  I added enough salt to my taste, and toasted some bread for dunking.  Who doesn't like a good piece of garlic toast??!

No comments:

Post a Comment