Saturday, February 25, 2012

Guest-worthy Mashed Potatoes

I don't know about you guys, but I LOVE loaded mashed potatoes when going out to eat.  But I do not want to pay the price for all of the extras! I guess I'm cheap.  That makes it nice for going on a date I suppose. :) hehe

These taters are super easy, cost effective and pretty darn amazing for when company comes over!

Ingredients:
7-8 pieces of bacon
2-3 green onions, chopped into tiny pieces
1/2 cup butter (1 cube)
Sour cream
Milk
Cheese (optional)
French fried onions
Salt and pepper to taste


Wrap 10-15 red potatoes in tin foil and bake at 375 degrees until a knife is easy to insert. (Roughly 30-45 minutes)
While you are baking the potatoes.... do the rest of your prep work.
Chop up your green onion...


Fry up some thick-cut, applewood smoked bacon (It's my favorite, but you can choose whatever)

Chop up your bacon into tiny bits and set aside.  Remove your taters from the oven and cut into smaller pieces.  Place in a large soup pot or large bowl.  I like to keep them in a pot so keeping them hot is easier. Cut your butter into chunks and let them melt into the potatoes like so.....


I tend to not measure anything, so take roughly a 1/2 cup to 1 cup of sour cream and start mashing  away. You can tell if you need more (potatoes seem dry)
Add some milk as necessary if your potatoes become too thick.
When the sour cream is mixed into the potatoes, stop mashing.  I always love to leave them a little bit "hearty" with a nice creamy to lumpy ratio.
With a spoon, mix in your salt, pepper, green onion and bacon.  Feel free to shred some cheese on top- I didn't, but it makes these potatoes mmm-good!

An optional trick that is sure to impress, at the very end- right before taking your finished product to the table, mix in French fried onions. Trust me- it's stinkin' amazing!

Scoop your taters into a "fancy" serving bowl and let people's animal instincts take over.  lol I'm kidding, but these will be gone in minutes!

See my posts on "BBQ Steak!" and "Wilted Spinach Salad" to make it a meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment