Thursday, February 23, 2012

Onion Strings and Buffalo Burgers!!

Yeowza... sometimes it's OK to cheat a little on diets.  Or at least that's what I tell myself.  Sorry. :)

So I found this recipe out of the Pioneer Woman's cookbook.. and let me tell ya, this lady has some of the BEST ideas for cooking! Oh man- my stomach is growling.  Pretty sure it's time for lunch!


So I'm here to inform you that DO NOT make these while you are starving.  I was HUNGRY and just about ate everyone's portion.  And I don't think they would have forgiven me.  Not even one bit. 
Onion Strings!!

Start by slicing up your onion super, duper thin.  You should be able to see your knife through the onion... Hence why they are onion "strings" and not onion rings.  :)

Place onions in a shallow dish and pour the buttermilk over.  You don't need to drown the poor suckers, just enough so that each onion is somewhat submerged.

Set aside and let them soak away for an hour or so.


Mix up the flour and spices and toss onions in it with tongs until generously coated.  Give em a little shake and drop into your piping hot, 300 degrees F oil.

Drop just a few onions in the hot oil at a time so each and every one is sure to get cooked evenly.  Don't walk away.... or this is what happens!!! (I had a definite sad face when this happened!)


So... long story short, I had to dump out everything and start all over with fresh oil. Thank goodness this is the only batch that got messed up!


You are all done and ready to start making your burgers!

Buffalo Burgers

Use any meat you desire, but I had buffalo burger handy... so that's what I used to whip this up :)

Don't be afraid to get down and dirty and use your hands to mix up the meat, diced onion, mayo and seasonings! Mix, mix, mix!


Start melting one Tablespoon of butter in a medium sized skillet...

Form large, thick pattys on waxed paper.  This makes it so much easier to get the patties into the pan.


Place the pattys in the pan and sizzle away.  Cook on one side then flip.  Put cheese on just cooked side and let the bottom cook.  Remove from the pan and place on....

Buns spread with butter then placed in the broiler!


Load up your burger with what you love...
I had to cut mine in half it was so large! Enjoy!!


Onion Strings:
1 onion
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups flour
salt, pepper and red pepper to taste
Oil for frying

Buffalo Burgers:
1 lb buffalo burger
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 Tablespoon mayo (adds flavor and creates juicy, tender hamburgers!)
Dash of Worscheschire sauce
salt and pepper to taste


No comments:

Post a Comment