Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Put Some Kick In Your Cooking!



So the other day I got a wild hair and decided to make homemade tamales and tortillas.  Everything turned out way better than I ever could have hoped! It was simply a miracle, I assume. ;)

You first mix up the "dough" for the tamales.

The corn husks prior to soaking...

Soak the corn husks in warm water until they are workable (roughly 10 minutes)

While your husks are soaking, cook up your choice of meat and seasonings.

Get your steaming pot good and ready!

Rinse off the corn husks.

Spread a good amount of the Masa on the corn husk.  Then put in a couple spoon-fulls of meat.

Fold it like so...

And stack upright in the steamer.  Steam for 1 hour, or until the Masa leaves the sides of the corn husk.

While the tamales are cooking, start making your tortillas!! I found a super easy recipe on the internet... basically it's flour, salt and butter.

The dough is ready for rolling, patting and makin (not a B hehe) tortillas!

The rolled out tortilla (taco sized) ready to get cooked!


FINISHED! And soooo good.

Everything was a huge hit, the family was well fed and it was a blast to make everything homemade! ;)






1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh I am so going to have to try this! My husband would be so thrilled! Looks delicious. Tamales are my F-A-V-O-I-T-E!!

    ReplyDelete