Monday, October 10, 2011

I Am What I Am

Being raised in a Christian home, I had alot of things going for me at an early age.  I was always loved, provided for and cared for.  Thanksgiving was not spent out in the rain and Christmas was always the "spoil" time of year.  It didn't just end with my Mom and Dad- my grandparents, aunts, uncles and other friends of the family were always there to coddle, coo and admire "the first-born".  The perfect setting for me to not need a Savior... never to need the HOPE of deliverance.
Fast-forward twenty-two years and here I am- still loved, still cared for.  But one thing is VERY different.  That is JESUS.  When I was ten years old I asked Him into my heart, life; my very being.  HE took the reins and is now the director- and my life wouldn't be the same if it weren't for Him! 
Growing up my parents were not necessarily "church-goers", but they still had good morals and standards for how they wanted to live their life and raise up their children.  I thank God for that!  When I was nine or so my Dad was on a hunting trip in Canada and my Mom had received a letter from a local church inviting us to come and join them for a service.  We went.  To say the least, it was history from there on out.  We attended for ten years, until a misfortunate event that caused the church to spit up.  We learned SO much about God's word, and really and truly applied it to our lives.  Our pastor had always told us that if you are somewhere and can't find a good church to attend- START ONE.  So that is exactically what my Dad did.  That Sunday we only had one friend that joined us for the "kitchen table service", but now- five years later, we are up to 70+ people if everyone is in attendance.  God had blessed the faithfulness of His believers- and I'm so very glad that my Dad trusted in Him!
My life has taken dramatic changes in the last five years- struggles in finding myself, struggles in believing in myself and struggles with family- but one thing I know.... we are changing all the time!  If there wasn't any change in our lives, then we would not be growing in Christ and having faith like we should!
A few years ago we decided for Christmas that we would make gifts instead of buying them.  It turned out to be the most tears-of-joy, emotional Christmas that we have ever had.  Unwrapping beautiful drawings, scrapbooked memories (and my brother built me a beautiful wood dresser/jewelry case!!) we decided that it meant so much more to us to make gifts, rather than buy them. 
I was thinking about how doing something so simple can create such joy- and I want someday for my children to see the example that my husband and I will set. 

Exodus 20:5 tells us why it is so important to live a life for the Lord:
"Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;"

This verse is so important to me because I don't want to be "that parent" that is forever doing wrong in front of little eyes.  Children do grow up to become adults- (Big suprise) and what we do or say in front of them greatly affects who they will become as adults... and it will drag on into the lives of their children someday, too.  Sometimes I am quick to anger, or have an impatient heart... things that "run in the family".  Every family has it's ups and downs, dissagreements and problems.  But it is NEVER too late to break the chain.  My parents did- by going to church, getting SAVED, living a life full of God, having faith, they have the HOPE that so many people crave!  I have that hope as well!! 
Time spent with family instead of getting high with friends will pay off way better down the road.  Making gifts for people that least expect it for Christmas instead of wondering what you will get will set an example that your children/spouse/friends/etc. they will never forget!  I am taking a vow to become a better person... regardless of how I am "judged" for my Christianity.  I took the vow to trust in Christ and have Faith that He delivered me!  I am a child of the King- and thankful for it!!
I am what I am, and so thankful that Jesus decided to die for me regardless of my sins that have been "passed down" or commit day to day.  If I wouldn't have taken the leap of Faith when I was ten years old- I would be blessed in an earthly sense, but would never know what it feels like to be blessed in a Heavenly way!! Change is good not only for yourself, but for the little ones that come after you! You are the person that scares under-the-bed monsters away, the Dad that lifts them high up so they can pretend they are Super Man, the Mom that is the "professional chef"... all types of heroes- but it amounts to nothing without God!  Be your child's REAL hero- raise them up with the joy of the Lord!

My Baptism!

1 comment:

  1. Touching Maleah, seems you always know exactly the things I need to hear. I just got off the phone with my mom this morning very frustrated with people close to me who chose to continue the cycle of anger, pride, and isolation from generation to generation, instead of seeking God's amazing grace and renewing themselves. What a wonderful gift from God my husband was and I know when we do become parents we will stumble and stray off the path, but because of him and his outreach to me, we will have Jesus as our solid rock forever.

    Love,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete