Monday, October 10, 2011

Just A Cup Of Coffee

This was for the other day...ooops! I thought I posted it, but I guess not!

Dancing Goats blend from Batdorf and Bronson!!! YES!

I'm a coffee snob.  Tried and true... I just can not seem to help myself. I know the way that I like my coffee, and I'm not afraid to order it that way.  So what if I want regular flavorings, but fat free milk- topped with whipped cream?  So what if I want an Americano with just a little dab of half and half, one Stevia, a smidgen of honey, one pump of vanilla and three shots?? Aren't I entitled to have it the "way I want"?  Being a barista means: fun, exciting, sexy, the smell of fresh-brewed coffee all day long, early mornings and lots of cleaning.  It is a job that I will love till the end... my best friend and something that will never talk back.  Coffee is the image of America it seems- EVERYONE knows what it is, what it tastes like- and most likely- the way they like it, too!
One day a woman came up to the coffee stand and her little girl climbed in the front seat to talk as well.  (They know I give out suckers or other candy) This woman has been coming for some time now and this particular morning she was asking me to make her coffee a certain way.  I thought I was crazy with my coffee "combinations".  She went on for minutes about why she liked her coffee this way- or that way.  She asked if I had any other crazy customers like her.  :)  I laughed and explained that everyone has "their thing" you just have to experiment to see what you like.  The little girl piped up and said, "Isn't it just a cup of coffee?" with plenty of sarcasm emphasized on just.  Her mother rolled her eyes and drove off, but it left me thinking.
This little girl held alot of wisdom at her tender age- and she was just right.  It is just a cup of coffee.  (Maybe the BEST cup, but still just coffee) What ever happened to smelling the roses? Or Sunday driving?  Now the world is filled with Starbucks- everyone trying to squeeze in a cup of joe before their busy and hectic day begins.  Nothing is simple... do you see the pattern?  TO GO restaurants, DRIVE THROUGH library book drop offs and INTERNET shopping.  All to save time- yet somehow we still need more time in our day!  What ever happened to "just life?" 
I don't know about you, but I will still be a coffee nut forever- (I just LOVE it too much hehe) but I will try to stop and smell the roses a time or two.  After all- beauty is everywhere around us... created by God -for us! And I miss it all because I'm to busy and occupied with my life.  I am going to try and not get mad at the person on the freeway with their blinker on for three and a half miles, or the lady in WalMart that keeps ramming her cart into the back of my leg, or the screaming child that is throwing a fit on the floor of a restaurant.  Because someday that could be my blinker, my cart or my crazy child.... and I would want people to understand.  I get caught up with the "rush" of it all- so help me, God, to see the importance of peace!  -But it doesn't hurt anything to have a good cup of coffee ;)

1 comment:

  1. This is indeed the coffee post you told me about the other day! As a barista for 3 years I totally know EXACTLY what you mean! Any of the girls at my stand knew Jess and her CRAZY drinks. For the longest time mine was "The Candy Cane" but with dark chocolate NOT white. Sugar Free, EXTRA peppermint..."how much extra?" they would ask me... "Enough that you think it's disgusting haha" was always my reply. Oh yes and Americano style with about an inch of steamed non-fat extra foamy. You thought you were picky lol!! I was "THAT" customer. And my drink was free for goodness sake!! My sweet coworkers always grinned and made it perfect. Now it seems when I go and visit the girls at the stands to catch up, I have no idea what I want till about the time I pull up, I normally just go for the special SF & NF. I simplified, but you know us batistas will ALWAYS be eyeballing the time of those shots and listening to the sound of the milk steaming. If it sounds like a 747 landing, I don't want it hahaha. Ok enough rambling I OBVIOUSLY just miss yaking to you! We need to scavenge Goodwill again soon for treasures as soon as I get better. Oh and lastly your closing comments reminded me of the beautiful song "They Don't Understand" by Sawyer Brown.

    Love,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete