Monday, October 24, 2011

Big Pig Bucks! :)

Helping my dad pack out his buck :)

On Saturday Brad and I went way out on logging roads... so beautiful!

The leaves are just about fully changed over to their brilliant colors- along with foggy mornings and freezing nights! At least I have been shivering my socks off! :)  Yesterday after church I went hunting with Brad and Loren.  We went to a "secret spot", which in fact, probably is a handful of other people's "secret spots". lol I had on my favorite Carhartt vest, dirty jeans from the last deer I skinned (What is the point in putting on clean, nice jeans when you will most likely fall down or get blood and guts on them??) and my polkadot rubber boots. :)  I love my boots, despite what everyone else says.  Oh, don't forget the hunter orange!
As we walked in to some clear cuts, leaves were water logged to the point where they no longer crunch and sound like egg shells, so we thought that was good.  The only problem was the gravel road- more like boulder road. Sheesh... loggers!  How are we supposed to hunt with such loud, big rocks?! We walked and walked- finally reaching our destination.  Glassing the cuts, we were waiting patiently for that monster pig buck to come out and be stupid enough for us to crack a shot.  No such luck.  On to the next cut we go. 
After a crew is done logging they take out the culverts to leave big, gaping trenches in the earth so the streams can run freely. (Something to the effect of the salmon being able to come upstream- but fat chance of that anyway.. it's only a few inches deep) After climbing down the embankments, then up again- three different times, we come to the farthest landing.  This logging seemed like a good one.  Loren went to the right to circle up and around while Brad and I took the long way around the bottom.  Where the skidders and other machinery went there were HUGE muddy ruts and quite a mess of the landscape.  I felt like I was in A Bug's Life movie or something. :) From all the dried and stagnet mud there was a WALL of bugs we ran smack dab into the middle of.  One flew up my nose and I did what came to mind first- a farmer's blow.  Brad looked back at me with that "Shhhh! We're hunting!" face.  Or maybe it was "Oh my gosh, did my girlfriend JUST do that?!" hehe What can I say? We are in the middle of the woods- no beauty judges out here! :)
Coming around the side of a hill (more like mountain, if you ask me) Brad spotted deer first.  One, two then three jumped and high-tailed it out of there!  He thought the back one was a buck and I whipped out my binoculars on it... aw.  No buck that I could see.  
Since we scared them off, there wasn't any use in sitting around in bug land, so we made our way back up the hill.  Meeting up with Loren, we made our way back to the first clear cut we came in at.  (We saw a buck there, but it ran off too stinkin fast)
We decided to sit it out and wait to see if the buck would come back since we were running out of daylight and there wouldn't be enough time to go and hunt anywhere else.  No luck with that either.  Bummer.  But at least we know where a decent buck is at!  Next time we will get him! Well, at least I hope.  :)
The sunset was SO pretty that night up in the woods!

No comments:

Post a Comment