Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Laundry Detergent

I am stoked! Not even just a little bit.  I'm so excited to share this with ya'll... I've practically told EVERYONE that I come in contact with!!  I found THE BEST recipe of all time online-

HOMEMADE LAUNDRY DETERGENT!!

I am tired of paying high prices for laundry detergent that is basically filled with fillers and fragrance.  When I broke it all down I realized that alot of the agents in laundry soaps are sudsing properties. So, online I went- to search for that perfect remedy.
Needless to say, I found it! So- hold on tight-  here we go!!

THINGS TO BUY:
2 gallon bucket (for mixing it up in... I used a $5 cereal bucket and it has a pour spout, too!)
Cheap, Dollar Store cheese grater
Inexpensive sauce pan
1/3 Bar Fels Naptha soap (I found mine at Wal*Mart) You can also use Ivory or Zote, but use the whole bar
1/2 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (NOT regular baking soda)
1/2 cup Borax

Start by grating 1/3 of the Fels Naptha soap.  If you choose to use a different type of soap, grate the whole bar. 

Bring six cups of water to a boil in your large sauce pan.  Take off the heat and add the soap shavings. Melt all the way down until you have milky, soapy water.

Add the 1/2 cup of Borax and washing soda.  Dissolve in the hot water. 

Pour four cups of hot water into your waiting bucket. (The bucket you will use to store the soap)

Now pour in your soap, Borax and washing soda mixture and give it a good stir.  You should start to see it thickening up on top.

Add 1 gallon, plus six cups of water and stir to your heart's content.

Let your creation sit for at least 24 hours.  You may need to give it a stir if it starts to separate if you have to much water on the bottom prior to use. If your soap turns out way to thick, add some more water and beat it up.

Use 1/2 cup per load of laundry.

If desired, add 1/2 to 1 ounce of essential oil for scenting it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment