Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Bull Bustin' Babes! (And Boy)

Our journey begins without flat tires or cracked windshields THANK GOODNESS... instead... we ended up running out of gas at "Exit 21"- wherever that is.  :)  With card games and laughter going on in the back of the truck I decided to hike up the hill to photograph some horses.  We finally were bailed out with five gallons of gas priced at a steep 125 buckaroos.  On the road again we come to our destination.  Rexburg, Idaho!  WE ARE HERE! Finally- pretty much everyone sighs- after a gruelling two days of travel.

I decided to include the girls and my brother in describing our adventures for this trip.. hope you enjoy our story as much as we enjoyed the whole shebang.  :)

Our first shooter was Samantha.  She shot once- right behind the ear and the bull went down without a fight.  "It had weird feet." Maureen states.... with lots of laughter and a crinkle of a nose.  It was different- in fact the ranch manager stated that he has only seen a couple of bulls with super long hooves.
"This was one of the best days of my life..." Samantha says with a big smile.
Maureen shot next- "I got to shoot an old, big, fuzzy-horned elk.  The first time I shot, it went off before I thought it would... so I shot it again, even though I made a good shot the first time, surprisingly." With a grin she also adds, "It's the coolest elk of them all- because I said so- and it's antlers are furry."

I was up for the next shot and I brought my bull down with one shot right under the cheek bone.  (It was sort of looking in my direction)  With all of the big game animals that I have shot- I haven't tried shooting one like I did today, so I was pretty excited about the challenge.  The shot broke the bulls neck and it went down instantly.

My brother was next and he also made a great shot!  Dad followed; one shot to the neck and it dropped like a lead weight.  Five for five! :)

Maureen and Samantha were the brave souls to skin and gut their elk by themselves.  (With the help of the male counter parts) "No one told me that I was going to be attacked by a bunch of green stuff... but my cat-like reflexes spared me and my jeans!" There was lots of laughter and giggling with every step of the way during the skinning/gutting process... and there was never a dull moment!  Maureen did an awesome job at getting in and getting dirty- fearless and more than willing to learn how to gut and skin.  When it was time to cut the head off- out came the Sawzall and off came the head!

"Stomach fluids don't taste very good." Is interjected by Samantha- who was second to gut her elk.  She jumped right in like a cave woman and was covered in blood and gut juice by the time it was all over.  The other elk were skinned and gutted- then hung up like the others- all ready to be quartered and packed into the trailer for the trip home.

Samantha's Nice Bull
Maureen's Bull still had velvet!

Loren and I... :)

Dad's bull!!

I feel so blessed to be a part of this hunting adventure! I believe that I can speak for everyone when I say that we all had the time of our lives!! God new is, the trip isn't over yet!  We are leaving tomorrow for Jackson Hole, Wyoming!  We are going to be having even more fun in this great town. :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment