Thursday, January 3, 2013

Cranberry Orange Scones

I have many favorites when it comes to desserts.  Most are so sweet you should see your dentist straight away. This next little gem I'm about to share with you is not dessert, but is it? I made it mine one night. :)

If you are tired of the "too sweet" or "too rich" desserts/scones/cookies, etc.- this is for you!



INGREDIENTS:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon grated orange peel (I zested one entire orange)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
7 teaspoons of sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup cold butter
1 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup half-and-half cream (I actually used heavy whipping cream because that's what I had on hand and I thought it would make them more moist...)
1 egg
1 Tablespoon milk

In a medium mixing bowl, mix flour, 7 teaspoons of the sugar, grated orange peel, baking powder, salt and baking soda.  Cut in the chilled butter until it resembles fine crumbs. (I used two butter knives, but you can pulse it in a food processor if that is easier for you)



Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until a soft dough forms.  Turn out onto a floured surface and knead 5 to 6 times. 



I used an ice cream scoop to make my scones a uniform shape, but feel free to roll out and cut into triangles or whatever shape you prefer.  Place scones onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes (or until the edges are golden brown) at 400 degrees. (NOTE: I ended up pressing mine flat with the bottom of a cup to ensure the middle got cooked properly)



Once scones are cooled, mix together 1/2 cup of confectioner's sugar and 1 Tablespoon of orange juice for a glaze.  Spoon a little bit onto each scone and let it drizzle down the sides.

There ya have it- super easy and fun to make!!
I thought they were very moist and flaky... the perfect combination in my book! :)

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment