Friday, March 28, 2014

Goodbye, Good Friend

They say Dogs are man's best friend.

I have known for some time that it is true.

Today we lost a very sweet girl to cancer. Words can't express how sad I feel! I feel like a hole is cut out- and nothing can heal the wound that is there.

We got Lily from my Aunt, who gave her to us after we lost our first Golden Retriever to cancer. She came to us with that sweet, shy spirit that we would come to love so much. She was a huge ball of fur and just wanted to lay flat out on her stomach with her legs sticking straight out the back. I cried- truth is, we ALL cried- it was so soon after Jazzy had passed away. TOO SOON! I don't want to let another furry face in my heart just yet! I cried and cried and buried my face in her soft neck fluff and it was too late. I WAS IN LOVE.

Over the years we came to adore this sweet spirit. She was a kindred spirit of sorts- with her shy demeanor, and goofy personality. She would get to running so fast that she sometimes ran head long into trees...or stumble down the steps- but we weren't worried for long. This was just one of her silly quirks.

Lily loved packing around rocks, sticks, twigs, ANYTHING that she felt like. When people would pull into the driveway she was always fast to pick up a little tiny twig (sometimes even so skinny and small that you couldn't believe she could even hold onto it) and come up for some loving!

She was never that stupid, silly dog that jumped on your crotch and/or knocked the wind out of guests- she was quite the lady. She would, however, put her front paws up on the rock wall that is by my parent's front door- and watch people go in and out of the house.

She had the spirit of an angel- someone to listen to my fears or worries- always with that special calm about her.

I will miss my friend. After patting her head for that last time- my heart is heavy. No longer will we see her sweet face. No longer will we be able to take a dip in the river. No longer will those eyes look back with love. Yes, I know she loved us.  Today we buried her under some redwoods that my dad planted many years ago. I placed moss over her grave and trimmed it in soft, light green moss from the surrounding trees. Flowers crown the top to bring beauty. Nothing is going to ever be good enough for our girl though. I wish it could be something a little more grand. But somehow it is so perfect seeing her laid to rest at home. Our home. The home where I grew up. The only home she knew. In the grass where we played, near the river so she can hear it trickle.

Sleep in peace my Lily girl.  I love you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment